Ok folks…I’ve had it. I’m taking a small (and probably spectacularly pointless) stand against the whole idea of getting all all of our families/friends together and actually off work, and then ripping them out of bed (or from going to bed in some cases) to go wait in lines for the chance to get smushed, stressed and utterly exhausted all for a chance to save some money on presents for the very people who we just missed a chance to lounge around with in a comfy robe and furry slippers.
During this week Nov. 21 to 29th
- Take off an extra 5% from what you are buying (with the exception of sale items) (Always)
- Get to buy a Modern Masters pack for 1/2 price ($6) for every purchase over $40 (OR)
- Get a Free Modern Masters 2015 pack for every purchase over $75 (OR)
- Get a Free Pokemon Pack for every purchase over $40 (OR)
- Get to pull a Free Mini board game (value between $7-15) for every purchase over $60)
Updated Sale item list:
|Item||Regular Price||Sale Price|
|BOG Fat packs||$39.99||25% off|
|Khan’s Event decks||25% off|
Magic Gift Boxes
|$25.99-21.99||Bonus Free Booster Pack ($3.99 value)|
|From the Vault Angels||$89.99||$59.99 (first 10 sold)|
Obviously, I a big believer in playing some table top games together as a way of having fun where we even get to look up from screens and actually LOL. (LOL–yes I’m aware of the irony.) So here is our solution. We’re going to have our holiday sale the weekend before Thanksgiving. We are a local shop, and we do want/need your business so we can afford to keep providing a nice place for people to come and play together so we appreciate when you buy stuff from us very much. Our idea is to let you pick up gifts for the holidays and while you are here, hopefully pick up something really fun to play over Thanksgiving as well, since having fun with people you love is about the best gift there is. And I want to keep the game playing to the games and do our best to make it pleasant to shop with us.
We’ve hand picked a number of great games, and as usual have a great selection of goodies for Magic and Pokemon players. We’ll be posting our yearly staff gift recommendation list in the next week. And we’ll be doing a bunch of game reviews to help out.
Recommendations for great Holiday games (this will be updated regularly)
- Codenames; Sort of a multi-match team password where the “spymaster” tries to give a clue that will get their team to match the words from a big spread of cards that belong to their team without picking words that belong to the other team. Very hot game.
- New York 1901: Think Blockus meets Ticket to Ride. Pick cards that let you build your collection of skyscrapers on the still flat map of NYC while you still have the space.
- Coup Rebellion CS4: This follow on to the very popular ultimate bluffing game Coup can be played in about 20 minutes per round and works for 3-6 players…super, super fun.
- Dead of Winter: We finally have this impossible to get in zombie tour to force in stock…Everyone who has bought it loves it, so if you are into the living the zombie (or zombie free) life, get a few folks together for this one.
- Cover Your Assets: Great game that works equally well for kids and grandparents,and can get ’em to actually play together.
Loonacy: Perfect for post Turkey brains…not a lot of high level thinking, but a fast paced game with a bunch of goofy laughing. Now with a cool Mad Men style retro version.
- Roll For It: A fast paced dice rolling game with simple rules that is fun for all ages…
- Qwirkle: Think scrabble meets Bejeweled (shapes and colors instead of words). Grat Family Game
- Evolution: This brand new games ia perfect in the spirit of getting stuffed. This 2-6 person game has each player creating their own customized species to vie to see who prospers and who gets eaten. Big thumbs up on this one for 10 (smart 8) and up.
- King of Tokyo Fans!!!: The classic king of the hill monster game hops over the pond with the new King of New York version of the game. This 2-6 player game is all about light hearted battling of giant monsters to see who can take the biggest bite out of the Big Apple
- And for those who like their fun Dark and Delicious…two Strong recommendations:
- Gloom: the Edward Gory/Lemony Snicket game where you lead your dark family to the worst possible life before knocking them off in some poetically tragic way,while your opponents try and give them (gasp) a good day. 😉
- Betrayal at the House on the Hill, 3-6 players fingernail biting exploration of the wonderfully creepy house. flips in the middle of the game by turning one of the players into the Betrayer who gets secret instructions setting him/her against the rest of the players who have their own secret instructions how they try and survive the night. This game is easy to get into and virtually impossible not to hvae fun with.