Update…the event was great. They raised over $1500 for Children’s Miracle Network. The Nerdy Knights were very, very cool guys and we were impressed both by what they were doing, and their spirit in doing it. Great job guys…you are welcome to come back next year. (Oh…and a shout out to my trivia team partner who helped prove that the combo of age and beauty turned out to be unstoppable…woo hoo!!! And good job to the second place team who ended up being a couple of our regular kid players who snuck up from behind and womped on the mostly adult crowd!)
So here’s the scoop. This group of players, who call themselves the Nerdy Knights contacted me to ask if we’d be willing to stay open for 24 hours to play games in the store. After the echos of the initial laughter faded, it turned out that they do this every year as part of a nationwide event for an organization called Extra Life, that has groups like them all across the country do these game marathons to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network to give money to a bunch of Children’s hospitals. After making sure they were legit, I dusted off my cot and gave them the thumbs up. Taking care of each other is a big part of what the store is about, and building in some taking care of others has been a goal of the
How this works. From 6 am Saturday to the same time on Sunday, the Nerdy Knights will be here, playing games, streaming on the net and gathering donations. Side by side with that we will be having tables dedicated to everything from Table-top board game Speed Dating, to Special Magic tournaments. D20 will donate the space and games for use in the events. Events with packs (ie Magic) the store do at a hugely discounted rate so any profit (and most of the $) will go to the charity.
Also, there ARE volunteer opportunities to help out. These include Speed Gaming Game Masters (people who know some of the board games well and can help people get a taste of the game super fast), Twitch Chat Moderators, Sound Mixer Tech, Set-Up and Clean-Up, Promoters to help spread the word and bring in people. If we have the people, we’d love to set up table for folks to learn or improve at Pokemon and Magic on Sat am and afternoon who would then donate to the charity. (And yes for some of kids/teens, this does count as community service for those kids who need to do that for school. –Quick note…don’t just do this to check off a school requirement…do it because it is a good thing to do, and come prepared to really work. We won’t sign off any forms for those who don’t come with their a-game attitude and do great work. )
The events (big time subject to change) Check here for the latest updates and schedule. NOTE…being here either before or during the after hours (after 9pm) is only for the volunteers or the participants in events. (Ok…you can donate a cover charge just to watch….whatever brings in more donations for the kidlets.)
- Zombie Conspiracy: Bring any number of friends in for this two hour Magic Draft/beat on your buddies fest.
- Cost-$8 to D20 and $10-15 donation to the charity.
- d20 Games – Speed Dating with Board Games
- We’ll Set up 4 tables with some of the best new games and some of our all time favorites. Play for 1/2 hour and we will then play musical chairs (literally) to see where you end up next. $5 donation per game tix ($10 for 3, and $25 donation for 10–enough to play the whole time.) If you love a game and want to stay at the table, you can use two tix to stick around for another 1/2 hour. Have fun, meet people, and win goodies at the table, including promo’s, snacks, and discounts. (Volunteers can earn one ticket per hour they volunteer for the event.)
- Cover-1 ticket per game session. $5-1 ticket, $10-2 tickets, $25-10 tickets
7:00pm – 9:00pm
- West Coast Team – Nerd Trivia.
- 5 rounds of 10 questions each. Each round will be a different category and will have prizes at the end of the round. At the end of the final round the team with the most points will go into a lightning round to win the Trivia grand prize provided by NKRN
- Categories will include Star Wars, Nintendo, Pokemon, Comic books, and others
- Teams of a max 4 people – Cover- $20/team
- D20 After Dark-Adult only games
- Tables set up with Games of a more adult nature (ahem…)–see above for details
- Cover Donation $15
- D20 Adults only Magic Draft….Modern Masters 2015!!!
- Cover-$15 to D20 (we will subsidize the rest of the cost of the packs) plus $15 Donation to the store
- Speed Gaming -Game Masters – for the speed dating-sequel version of board games we will need one person with each board game to teach the players how to play.
- Twitch Chat Moderators – people watching the twitch chat during the event to bring in the participation of the online community. Tasks will include helping running the online raffles and monitoring the online portions of live events (I.e. Trivia, Cards Against Humanity, etc)
- Sound Mixer Tech – preferably someone with experience or can easily be taught how to run a small 12-channel mixer to make sure audio and music is played throughout the stream appropriately. Typically students in the drama department in schools will be ideal for this
- Set-Up and Clean-Up – for the evening before and morning after we can use 2-3 extra hands for setting up and taking everything down once the event is taken care of
- Promoters – Someone standing outside and encouraging community engagement by handing out the fliers and trying to draw people in