It’s good to be back, and with Dominaria United, we finally are.
This September, Magic: The Gathering returns to its roots: the home plane of Dominaria.
Whether you’re a returning player seeking new spins on familiar faces or someone experiencing MTG’s flagship plane for the first time, Dominaria United has something for everyone. This new Standard-legal set is a return to Magic‘s roots, returning to the Multiverse’s oldest plane in its new hour of need. Join some of Magic‘s most beloved heroes in its fight against their greatest enemy: the fan favorite Phyrexians.
This set comes with a host of new cards for normal and Commander play alike, from new spins on old favorites to just the old favorites themselves, and has a product for everyone. Live your legend with its two Commander decks, play in its premier Limited environment, or if you’re so inclined, crack boxes – each one contains one of twenty exclusive box topper legendary creatures found only as box toppers or in Collector boosters.
This weekend and next, we have a plethora of sealed events using the prerelease kits from the new set. Players can get their boxes of 6 packs to open and get to build their decks starting 1 hour before each event. Prerelease kits have six 15-card packs, 1 random exclusive promo foil rare or mythic rare from the set, and a special spindown die. We provide the basic lands, so you don’t need anything more to play. We pride ourselves that no one here will make you feel anything but welcome (we all started from scratch at some point).
All events are sealed using the prerelease kits. Make your best decks and win a round, win a pack. If we have enough players to accommodate both, we will also have competitive prize pools for the 10AM sealed events. (Competitive prize pools mean more chance to win lots of packs if you do very well, but more rounds and the chance to win no prize packs if you don’t. Better for more expert players.)
The prerelease and release events are great chances for players who haven’t gotten a chance to play in person to come to a friendly, fun event where everyone is starting from scratch and no one knows much more than anyone else yet. We recommend if you are new, or you have a friend who is new, to play in the Two-Headed Giant events, which are two-person team events. So long as one person in the team knows how to play, you can both have fun without any pressure to know the rules right away.
Masks and vaccination cards are required.
Dominaria United offers a host of new and returning mechanics which present a flavorful and fun twist on well-loved gameplay. Enlist conscripts, read ahead with your Sagas, master your Domain, and more!
– Enlist: Band together with your other creatures with Enlist! When you attack with a creature that has Enlist, you may tap another creature you control (that isn’t attacking or summoning sick) to add its power to the first. Enlist this spiritual successor to banding to overwhelm your opponents with massive creatures!
– Read Ahead: One of Magic‘s most beloved subtypes – Sagas – returns to the game, but with a new twist! Sagas enter with a lore counter and gain one more after each draw step, triggering each of their chapter effects in order. Sagas with “read ahead” let you skip the wait and start on whatever chapter you want to!
– Domain: This returning mechanic, last seen in Modern Horizons, improves the more different basic land types you have among different lands you control. Gather a Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest – or a Plains Island Swamp and a Mountain Forest – to maximize the magnitude of your Domain effects!
– Kicker: Fan favorite returning mechanic Kicker comes back with a twist! Spells with a kicker cost let you pay the extra kicker cost to gain an additional effect, and new to this set, every spell with kicker in Dominaria United has a kicker of a different color than itself. Here’s the kicker – it doesn’t stop here! One of the oldest traditions of kicker returns, with cards that have multiple kicker costs to adapt to any situation!
– Stun Counters: Finally, Dominaria United brings to the game an entirely new type of counter! When a permanent with stun counters on it would untap, you remove one from it instead. Now you can finally tap down creatures for more than two turns!
Collecting Dominaria United
Dominaria United comes with a host of beautiful variants for your collection, including six borderless rare lands, borderless planeswalkers, stained glass and textured foil stained glass legendary creatures and lands, and foil and foil etched versions of the Legends Reborn box toppers. For full information on where to find which variants, see here.
Exclusive to Dominaria United, one out of every thirty-three collector boosters will have a card from the original Legends set – not a reprint or special variant, an actual card from the original print runs of Legends, now over twenty-five years old. This includes reserved list cards, such as the Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. Note that this is not a new printing, so supplies are very limited!
Also exclusive to Dominaria United collector boosters are non-foil and foil etched versions of the Legends Reborn box toppers and foil stained glass full art basic lands.
New to Dominaria United and continuing going forward, Magic offers a new introductory product: Jumpstart boosters. Jumpstart boosters are designed for two to be shuffled together and played against one another, for easy out-of-the-box fun that still offers something new every time. Dominaria United offers ten themes, two in each of the five colors, in twenty-card packs, which each include two rare cards, two traditional foil basic lands, and one non-foil stained glass full art basic land.
For full information on the availability of other variants, see the Product Overview.
Set booster boxes are $159.99. They contain 24 set boosters. We will take $10 off for preorders ($149.99,includes box topper promo). Preorders end on Friday 9/2. Only events and set booster boxes are available until Friday 9/9, when all Dominaria United products will be available.