NOTE…the event system is $@%@ (causing me a bit of bother at the moment). So I’m going to update here for now.
Adding to below…We are starting to do cheap ($20) 6 pack M14 Magic Sealed events to get in practice for Grand Prix Oakland. We are slotting these in whenever we can. They will be for practice, not for prize, so people can pick up packs before hand and join events in progress if they can’t make it when they start (they will get a game loss for the rounds we play, but will still get the points and practice for what they do play.) People are big time encouraged to help each other out after the games to figure out how to get much better. GO TEAM D20!!!
The week that was and will be…
- So we had 26 for our Grand Prix qualifier on Sunday….since I was the organizer, I had to sit and watch instead of playing (grr)…but got in the action for a Modern Masters Draft after it was all done… Since many of us are getting ready for the Grand Prix in Oakland Aug 23-25th, every event counts these days.
- We also had a bunch of fun with the Magic Two-headed Giant on Saturday. IT DID sell out again, so make sure if you want to join us for the next one to sign up in advance.
- Modern Masters league had their last event on Tuesday before the big transition to our new regular Tuesday Modern Tournaments
- Coming up….
- Magic League starts on weds. We’re going to be doing big changes in the league, including having the Weds events as real tournaments (4pm for kids-or 5:30 for adults–kids can join if they want to). For today, we will be doing it the same as a standard sealed. For the future, players will be able to join late and just take game losses for that round, but get points for what they play(and win) for the league overall. Each event will get a booster pack for the winner and mystery packs for 2nd and third. (Sometimes there will be secret bonus prizes. )
- NEW....$20 Sealed events until Aug 11th…Getting Ready for Oakland Grand Prix we will be doing special $20 M14 sealed events. These will be for practice, so there will not be any prize support (cause they are cheap). We will charge $25 for the event, with a $5 credit toward the next one to make sure people aren’t just doing it for the packs. We will also let people get packs at the end of one event to build overnight so they can do the next event right after work. We will do one on Thursday, Friday at 4 if we get enough, and Sat at 11. Many more times to come
- Sat: Packs before…play at 1 or as soon as we have 8.
- Sun. Packs early, play at 3…We want to do a Clinic with the better players so we can all get better for this one
- MONDAY–Day time (kid friendly as well)…Packs at 10, play at 11:30
- FNM–M14…Sunday Standard and Modern Masters.
- Sat at 3:30 (to 6) Plasma Blast Prerelease!! Limited to 36 players-$30 gets 6 packs to make your best deck and play, and 2 packs when you turn in your energy at the end. In addition, player will get a promo card and a deck box. We will be able to take limited sign-ups in the morning and then will be able to take more around 12. Players will need to be in the store with $ in hand at 3:15 and we will go down the list and enter those who are present.
- We had the prerelease last weekend and will have the new extra deck packs for sale this week. Sunday at 2 for our regular event.
—-Coming Thursday August 1st…IN STORE VISIT BY THE CREATORS OF CASTLE PANIC!! 😉 ———-
Special announcement about From the Vault at the bottom of is post…
This weekend–Pokemon and Vanguard Back to Normal, Release Events for M14 (including 2-headed Giant) and Oakland Grand Prix Qualifier on Sunday!
Had a great set of Prerelease events for Magic M14. Some interesting highlights…
Most Busted cards in the set so far….Kalonian Hydra…Comes into play with 4 counters and doubles ALL counters on All your creatures when it attacks! Oh, and did I mention the trample. Remove it in the next 2 turns or that’s game….sheesh. (Found out about this by being on the wrong side of the card…)
Magic M14 is Here!!! This week—M14 release events….
- Tuesday–Last Modern Masters League Pack week…Come in and find your partner for next week’s League Two-headed Giant!!–Special Bonus Prize cards and goodies for the regular players tonight…We will Draft at 6 if we get 8 (again..) (and full participation credit for league members who show up and don’t wish to draft.)
- Weds–Last Dragon’s Maze League before we start M14–come in for special tolkens and other prizes, Also D&D Encounters ($5 fee) LOOKING for another good DM to help run a table…will be compensated in store credit, but must be good enough to represent the store…
- Thursday at Midnight…We will open special to sell M14 Boxes and Fat Packs (.. Click here for a draft simulator. Or here to see all the new cards…)
- Sat. the 20th
- we will be doing Pokemon again in the morning
- Magic M14 Sealed at 12
- Two-headed Giant at 5:30 (4pm for packs)
- Sunday the 21st
- Grand Prix Trial for Grand Prix Oakland!!! Reg at 10 but start will be 11 am on time. Since the packs need to be opened and registered by other players, there will be no ability to show up late for this one. This will be a $35 sealed event using M14 (the same format that the Grand Prix will be) This will be a competitive level event…so much more strict on the rules, though we still aim to keep the D20 Good spirit in place. 😉
- Draft at 3 for those who want to redeem their pride (or luck)
From the Vault Twenty will be coming out on my Birthday, Aug 23rd, and as usual there will be very limited numbers. We will start two sign up lists. The first will be for 6 guaranteed copies at $150 each. The second will be for a price TBD once we see what’s in the thing, but will be about 10% below what the going ebay sold rate is. This will be a lottery, with the entries based on the two things I want to most reward, participation in store events and money spent in the store over ehe last few months. (This year, I’m going to do estimates for both of these so I don’t spend 3 days looking through wizard’s event reporter). ONE BIG CHANGE…
- I will be adding extra bonus entries for the following:
- One extra entry for every event participated in from now until the release on the 23rd
- Bonus entry for People who attend more then 2 events a week
- Double entries for people attending Leagues, including participating in M14 league
- 3 Bonus Entries for people who bring in a player to an event who as not ever played with us before
- And I reserve the right to give out extra entries (at my discretion) for players who help teach a new player how to play, or who in general are showing above and beyond kindness and support to new or intimidated/nervous players, or general good Duckishness…
D20 is now a full supporter of Cardfight! Vanguard.
- Entry fee-buy a pack and the event is free
- Prizes are cards from the special promo set #4.
What is Cardfight! Vanguard? Cardfight is a collectible card game where the cards play multiple duty, sometimes as the creatures and sometimes as spells. It’s a fairly recently translated Japanese game, so the instructions can be a bit tricky, but once you play a few times, if you come from either Yuigoh, Pokemon or Magic, it isn’t hard to figure out.
- Looking for some good DM’s—Sat June 15th is Free RPG day at the store, in addition to giving out a bunch of free RPG goodies, we will be running what could be up to a 3-8 table joint adventure…but we need some good DM’s to help us out.
- Ok…still battling with the website….so far it’s taken the first game…but the match isn’t open yet.–The Event list is battling
- IMPT>>>Sunday Standard is moving to 11:30 start from 12:30 start so we can start regular 3 pm drafts (Modern Masters Next week)
- Saturday Morning…Registering at 10am— Pokemon Battle Roads tournament...(Lots of people..not the best for the smaller kids that can get overwhelmed)
- Also on Saturday June 8th…Two Headed Giant (starting a bit later because of the Battle Roads.) Packs at 4 or so…but no space to build until about 5–start playing at 6
- Modern Masters ships this week
- Taking reservations for the first (and only) Revised Box Draft –Yep…we are doing the most over the top draft ever…a factory sealed box of Revised. Cost is $150 per person to open packs that haven’t seen fresh air in 19 years. 😉 (NOTE–New date for this…June 29th!!!)
- Tuesdays starting June 11th… Modern Masters League. Register here… ($100 for 6 starter packs plus 5 weekly packs…more then half sold out so far..)These packs will be cool but in very limited supply. Packs look like they will be between $13-15 per and are FULL of amazing stuff for Magic Modern.
- Wednesdays…we are doing D&D encounters from 6-9. We’ve pretty much got the first table either filled or close each week, so we’re looking for a couple more people to DM for us. Check out my newly written Intro to D&D blog post for parents and other curious types
D20 Games Events this week… (6/04/2013)
- Vanguard, Pokemon, Kaijudo and Magic open play.
- New Dragon’s Maze League (short league before summer League) 6 packs to start or one of the prerlease 6 pack sets.
- 5:30…Magic Time Walk Duels!! $5 entry ($4 into a pack for the prize pool) We got this wonderful collection of Intro Decks from 1996-2008 in perfect condition. Pick your weapon from the History of Magic and see how it does…pick a favorite from the past or something you’ve never tried before. We’re going to do this from now on, so come and have some historical fun.
- Board Game Test Night. Check out new board games from 5-7 (or later)–Play a game and write a review…get a punchcard punch good for special deals!!!
- OPEN AT MIDNIGHT FOR Modern Masters sales. League players can get their first packs and we will sell limited numbers of packs per day.
- Registering at 10- Pokemon Battle Roads tournament...(Lots of people..not the best for the smaller kids that can get overwhelmed)
11-1:00 Pokemon League…$5 and great fun for all ages. Free play with other folks who love Pokemon with rewards for how many times you play. ADDING Competitive tournament each week. $5 entry (4 into prize pool for packs). Single Elimination.
- Two Headed Giant (starting a bit later because of the Battle Roads.) Packs at 4 or so…but no space to build until about 5–start playing at 6
Date Night Magic 5 for pizza, 5:30 for draft. $15 for the event plus $5 for pizza and drink for kids 9-12–kids will have the option of playing in the launch event instead if they would like.
- 9PM Modern Masters Draft
- 11 am (start playing at 11:30)—NEW TIME Magic Standard Tournament–$5 entry…one pack into the prize pool per player (12 registration..start play at 11:30)
- 1:30 Cardfight! Tournament: Entry fee-buy a pack. Promo Cards!!
- 3:00 PM–Modern Masters Draft–Limited to 16 players
No more Adult Yugioh at D20.No tournaments, trading or free play. 2:00 Yugioh Masters Tournament:. $5 entry fee.–